What is Neglect?
- A failure to provide for a child’s basic needs.
- Physical – food, shelter, supervision.
- Medical – necessary medical or mental health needs.
- Emotional – inattention to a child’s emotional needs, failure to provide psychological care, or allowing the child to use alcohol or other drugs.
What is Physical Abuse?
- Non-accidental physical injury.
- Minor bruises to severe fractures or death – as a result of:
What is Sexual abuse?
- The sexual exploitation of a child for the sexual gratification of an adult.
- Activities by a parent or caretaker such as fondling a child’s genitals, penetration, incest, rape, sodomy, indecent exposure, and exploitation through prostitution or the production of pornographic materials.
What is Emotional abuse?
- A pattern of behavior that impairs a child’s emotional development or sense of self-worth. This may include constant criticism, threats, or rejection, as well as withholding love, support, or guidance.
Effects of Child Abuse:
- Issues with trust
- Poor social skills
- Poor problem solving skills
- Drug and alcohol abuse/use
- Poor academic performance
- Low levels of empathy
- Post traumatic Stress Disorder
- Criminal Behavior
Effects Associated with Sexual Abuse:
- Age inappropriate sexual knowledge
- Sexually acting out
- Sexualized behaviors
- Self-injurious behaviors
- Unplanned pregnancy
- Venereal disease
- Difficulty developing and maintaining relationships